Date: May 11, 2020
The safety of our students, tutors and their families is our top priority. To limit the spread of COVID-19, all in-person tutoring sessions remains suspended until it is deemed safe to resume in consultation with public health authorities. During this time, only online tutoring will be offered at Math Tutor Network. We understand that this will be a challenging time for students. Our tutoring team has made a number of adjustments to help support your child's learning needs as we transition to a home-based learning environment.
Our Response to COVID-19
- New Online Tutoring Platform. In addition to using Skype or Zoom, we have added a new tutoring platform that provides students with a shared whiteboard, session recordings, and integration with Desmos calculator.
- Revised Minimum Charge Policy. In response to a lighter workload from school, we have adjusted our minimum charge policy from 60 minutes to 30 minutes until August 31, 2020.
- Free Consultation. To ensure technical problems do not get in the way of online tutoring, clients are welcome to book a 15-minute consultation appointment to ensure proper equipment setup.
- Exercise packages. Math practices does not have to stop with virtual learning. To ensure students still practice Math using pen and paper, Math Tutor Network would be happy to send relevant exercise materials to your local Staples for contactless curbside pickup following each tutoring session.
- Training Staff for Online Tutoring. All of our tutors are provided instructions on effective ways in carrying out virtual tutoring sessions, including strategies to gauge student's interest and finding out the challenges students have with their schoolwork.
- Mentorship for Students. Social distancing has been especially difficult for youths and teenagers. Our tutors will provide the proper mentorship and advice to help students manage stress and anxiety through this period.
Having tested different video conferencing and tutoring software, we were not able to find a suitable application that provides a comprehensive learning experience without going back and forth between different apps. Therefore, we have built a central web-based tutoring platform, TutoringClassroom, that consolidates a variety of learning tools without the need to install multiple applications. TutoringClassroom offers the following features:
- Optional Session Recordings
- Optional Session Notes Download
- Collaborative Whiteboard for tutors and students to write on the screen at the same time
- Desmos calculator integration
- Skype, Zoom and Google Meet compatibility for screen sharing
- Taking snapshot of work on paper and automatically upload to a shared virtual whiteboard for discussion and further revision
- Privacy Tutoring Option
- Comprehensive Tutoring Option
Visit our Online Tutoring page for more information.
Updates will be provided on this page as we adjust to a new temporary normal. We will continue to follow the health and safety regulations as determined by health authorities. When deemed safe to resume in-person tutoring sessions, Math Tutor Network will announce a list of measures tutors take to ensure a safe learning environment for our students. We appreciate your understanding through these uncertain times.
"Remember to be kind, be calm, and staying safe!"
- Dr. Bonnie Henry